Cloning HDD to SSD in ASUS S400CA and fixing windows 8 MBR

Its really a bad move from Asus that they didn't provide any recovery media or OEM windows 8 ISO to our purchased product. I wanted to speed up my laptop ( S400CA ) with SSD but due to the lack of recovery media above. Its a nightmare.

Long story short. Due to the reason above.

  • I have to clone my HDD(500GB)  to small size SSD ( 256GB)
  • Normal cloning doesn't work as you will need sector by sector copy to avoid potential booting error. 
  • I'm using EaseUS todo Backup Free Edition which provide Partition to Partition copy with Sector alignment ( or sector by sector copy). P/S: I was surprise that this free edition is no way found in their main page but reachable by using google. 
After cloning, in my case, I've hit into the mbr problem. To fix the mbr, I use the resolution in this link.

To be specific:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Remember after you change to SSD, do not press F9 (recovery shortcut for asus) while booting. It will break the MBR and need to fix it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Kuala Lumpur Water Hard or Soft? Is it safe to drink?

How to Reset Xiao Mi Power Bank

Malaysia Income Tax Query